Question
Posted by: Dot | 2008/06/16

Eltroxin- weight/ moods and smoking

Hi there Doc.
I'm very interested in the effects of eltroxin and its importance.
I was put onto eltroxin when I told my GP I couldn't conceive. It really helped and I was pregnant within 4 months although I had two miscarriages (one was gynie's fault) and have given up trying to have children too old now 44. I stayed on eltroxin for approximately 5 years. I felt no difference my dosage was increased then lowed then increased again with the acknowledge blood tests and docs guidance. I then became fed up with this tiny white pill, it was a nuisance I always ran out or forgot to take it, it never made me feel any different it only took my fighting edge away and made me a bit too placid. I gave up taking this retched little pill 3 years ago my weight has been steadily climbing I lose a bit put on a bit but generally not a huge amount I believe a good diet will sort out my weight. My moods are the way I like them now and I feel much better even tough I know the blood tests will show that I still require this drug. I'm happier without it. My husband commented on my moods he has seen the change.
NB I gave up smoking when I discovered I was pregnant and never touched a cigarette again 8 years now.
Four questions
Does smoking and then giving up have a profound influence on weight gain?
Does smoking mess up the thyroid?
Does the thyroid eventually repair itself?
and does eltroxin cause mood change to the degree that it can make you eat more and become blase' about it?

I try where I can to eat sea food, sushi with seaweed and feed my thyroid in a natural way. I have lost a little weight not much but its ok for me I'm not too over weight. At least I feel like me again.
Dot

Dear Dot
Does smoking and then giving up have a profound influence on weight gain? Yes most people who stop smoking do gain a bit of weight as your taste sensation becomes more normal again and you may eat a bit more, and nicotine is a slight appetite suppressant.
Does smoking mess up the thyroid? Tobacco smoke contains substances that affect the function of the thyroid. One component of tobacco smoke is cyanide, which is converted to thiocyanate, which acts as an anti-thyroid agent, directly inhibiting iodide uptake and hormone synthesis. It can cause hypothyroidism according to "Cigarette Smoking and the Thyroid," featured in the October 12, 1995 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.
Does the thyroid eventually repair itself? If just because of the smoking it probably can but if it is due to viral infection or injury or outo immune disease it won't and you would need supplements all the time.
and does eltroxin cause mood change to the degree that it can make you eat more and become blase' about it? No Eltroxin can cause weight loss due to increased metabolism and also jitteryness or anxiety but usually don't cause major mood changes.

1
Posted by: Dot | 2008/06/18

Thank You Dr Bets its great that someone out there can finally answer my questions
Many thanks
Dot

Reply to Dot