Question

Eltroxin - AGAIN.... :-)

Hi Doc.
I wrote you recently and you told me that it takes roughly six weeks for Eltroxin to start working (me losing weight). It has been roughly six weeks now and I still see (or feel) no improvement! I have hardly eaten anything for the past two weeks, and still nothing's happening. Could my dose be too low?

Please help me, I feel like a balloon!!!

PS - In conjunction with the Eltroxin, I am taking a diuretic too, so it can't be water retention.

Dear Anon
Have you done a follow-up blood test yet? Maybe you are eating so little that your poor body is in starvation mode and clings to every gram with all its might! I would suggest you seeing a dietician or ask advice from diet doc on the health 24 website if your GP is happy that there is now no medical reason for you not losing weight.

1
Posted by: Cornel | 2007/03/19

Just remember that if you don't eat your body stores fat in fear of starvation! You have to eat 5 times a day in order for your metabolism to kick in:

08h00: All Bran (high fibre breakfast)
11h00: snack on fruit/Yogurt
13h00: 2 slices of Whole-wheat bread with lettuce, tomato, Tuna (a healthy samie)
15h00: fruit (and in winter you can have a nice Cup-a-Soup)
before 18h30: balances meal: chicken/fish/lean meat with veggies and salads. And remember to drink about 2 litres of water daily! Use sweeteners in your Tea (avoid caffeine).

Hope I was able to help. I don't think your thyroid-problem alone is preventing you from loosing weight. Seems as if you have not discovered a healthy eating plan, yet.

Come chat to us on the H24 Weight loss site. We are a group of people encouraging each other to loose weight and that can give Weigh loss tips.

Reply to Cornel