Question
Posted by: Kathija Mohamed | 2007/12/12

Eltroxin

Dear Sir/Doctor,

Is there any other way of regulating the thyroid gland? I am really struggling with weight gain and I just cannot cope anymore. I tried a
weight loss programme for a short while because it gave me severe side effects, 4 plus of protein in my urine test and I stopped the weight loss programme immediately. The programme is the "The Miracle Injection Diet" together with a high protein diet to follow. It worked but I ended up with a kidney,bladder infection. Please advise, I don't know where else to get answers from anymore. From a perfect 36 to now 42 ...... and I seem to be getting bigger. My husband is worried about my health as well because I cannot walk for long when we go out or shopping.

Please Help!!!

Thanking you in Advance.

Kind Regards,
Kathija Mohamed

Dear Kathija
If you suffer from an underactive thyroid, then it is important that you consult a medical dr who will prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy such as the medication called Eltroxin. You will then need to take the Eltroxin to replace the missing thyroid hormone, which should improve your weight. Please do not use high-protein, high-fat diets such as the 'Miracle Injection Diet' because they can have very negative side-effects as you have already experienced. I would recommend that you rather use a balanced, energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). On this regimen you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week, slowly and steadily which is the sensible way of losing weight. The suggested exercises are still the best metabolic sitmulant you can find that does not produce negative side-effects. If you find that you are still not losing weight after one month, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you may be suffering from insulin resistance that requires a special low-GI diet.
Hang in there

12
Posted by: Margie | 2008/03/27

I went onto a diet with a dokter, with this diet I had to use eltroxin. I lost so mush wight and was very happy. Now the dokter has taken me off eltoxin and now I start picking up weight again. They tested my thyroid and its normal. Now they dont want to give me Eltroxin again because my test is normal. Why am I loosing when using it? and now I'm back to the tierdniss and hair loss like before. Please tell me what can I do. Thanks Margie

Reply to Margie
Posted by: candy | 2008/03/17

hi ek is nou vir jammer drie maande op eltroxin. Voel glad nie meer so moeg nie.
Ek het 'n onderaktiewe skildklier en wil weet wat ek kan doen om gewig op te tel. Is nogal senuweeagtig is dit normaal van n onderaktiewe skildklier? Is daar enige newe effekte van eltroxin?

Reply to candy
Posted by: Oily | 2008/03/06

Hi. I have been taking Eltroxin for 3 days and find I have an oily fringe. Has anyone experienced this before?

Reply to Oily
Posted by: Caress | 2008/02/26

Hi daar, my raad aan Brenda en Chazi. Ek is nie 'n geneesheer nie, maar het ook 'n onderaktiewe skildklier. Moenie eens daaraan dink om 'n alternatiewe metode (homeopatiese) te gebruik nie. Ek het dit gedoen en sukkel nou na amper twee jaar om weer my gewig terug te kry. Brenda, dit kan tot ses weke neem voor jy 'n verskil kan voel en jy sal waarskynlik weer 'n bloedtoets moet doen om te sien wat die uitwerking is.

Reply to Caress
Posted by: Brenda | 2008/02/26

Ek is reeds bietjie meer as 'n maand op Eltroxin 0.05mg, deur my ginekoloog voorgeskryf. Kan nog nie sê dat ek enige positiewe verskil kan waarneem nie. Neem dit 'n tydjie om deur jou liggaam verwerk en aanvaar te word of moet daar 'n onmiddelike verskil wees ? Sal dit waardeer as iemand my hierop kan antwoord, aangesien ek ook steeds bly gewig aansit.

Reply to Brenda
Posted by: Brenda | 2008/02/26

Reply to Brenda
Posted by: riekie | 2008/02/12

Hypothyroidism

Reply to riekie
Posted by: Vha V | 2008/02/05

I discover that my thyriod is underactive and i gain a weight like no one . But i am hoping the eltroxin will work.I need you prayers. I want to loose wait.

Reply to Vha V
Posted by: CC | 2008/01/27

Ek is nou so twee weke op Eltroxin 0.05, een keer per dag en ek moet se die beste deel daarvan is die heerlike slaap wat ek in kry vir die eerste keer...in ek weet nie hoe lank nie.

Die gewig staan nou wel stil - so ek sal nog moet sien wat daar gaan gebeer (ek het van Aug 2007 tot nou Jan 08 17 kg opgetel sonder om aan my dieet te verander)

Ek het gehoor van die ''VIRGIN COCONUT OIL'' wat glo wondere verig - weet iemand waar in Pretoria n mens dit kan koop?

Bly om te weet ek's nie alleen nie.

Reply to CC
Posted by: Chazi | 2008/01/23

I started with eltroxin 2days ago and will have to see how it goes. So far it seems to give me headache, hoping this will pass.
However, have you ever thought of going to a homeopath? I was treated by a homeopath for an underactive thyroid a few years ago and the results were excellent. I felt healthy and looked refresh, also lost the weight I needed to. So my suggestion would be that if you are fed-up and don't know which way to turn, you have nothing to lose by trying out a homeopath. It just might have the results you desire.

Good luck ;-)

Reply to Chazi
Posted by: Libs | 2008/01/20

i've been using eltroxin for 7 years now, 0.1mg once a day with the same effects, tired, moody, hairloss and weight gain, yet my doctor says everything is normal and i must excercise more. I live a very healthy very active lifestyle already. there must be some help for us out there. if i excercise an more i may as well give up my job and excersise full time.

Reply to Libs
Posted by: Tanyia | 2008/01/10

My skildklier was eers ooraktief en na jodium besraling onderaktief.
Gebruik eltroxin 0,1 mg x 3 per dag al vir jare,maar bly moeg,
verloor nie gewig nie,lewe gebalanseerd,en die laaste tyd verloor hare baie.
Wil weet of eltroxin saam met tetroxin gebruik kan word.
Eltroxin dosis reeds hoog.kan hy nog onderaktief wees?

Reply to Tanyia