Question
Posted by: Maria | 2006/07/17

Eltroxin?

Good day Dr

A friend of mine went to see an international dietician in Sandton and he simply prescribed Eltroxin and Moduretic for her - giving her a low fat diet to follow and she's lost quite a big amount of weight.

But what does Eltroxin do? Can anyone take it?

Is there any negative side effects?

Hallo Maria
I already answered this question but yes there are negative side effects - I don't think it is a good idea and can cause hypothyroidism.
You should not take it without checking your blood for thyroid hormone function and under doctor supervision.

2
Posted by: Sally | 2006/07/17

Maria, A dietician is unable to write out a script or prescribe medication to a patient. Only Drs are. No-one should use eltroxin on a whim, without having thyroid blood profile done. If they do not have hypothyroid and take eltroxin could serioiusly affect their heart! Same goes if one is prescribed eltroxin and takes too much could also cause serious side effects and heart damage. Close monitoring is needed. That dietician if indeed it is true, is acting highly unethically and could get into serious trouble with the HPCSA if reported.
Tell your friend to have blood tests before using eltroxin. Chris is correct it is a presciption drug only and not sold over the counter.

Reply to Sally
Posted by: Chris | 2006/07/17

Eltroxin is primarily used for the treatment of hypothyroidism - i.e. underactive thyroid. My wife takes one pill a day.

Have never heard of it taken to los weiht - I'd be very careful as it can have serious side-effects. It can only be obtained under prescription.

Chris

Reply to Chris