Question
Posted by: Dude | 2004/09/29

ello

Hi Doc...

It’s been a while and I hope u well, my life is hectic but good in a way...

Need some advice from ur expertise....

My lady is having a few issues of late... its depression and anxiety and some more... she was hooked on some hectic tranquilizers for some time and came off them about 2 months ago... she has been suffering from mood swings, mistrust and depression... some anxiety as well...

I tool her to another shrink... this shrink said she was suffering from depression and should be on medication... this shrink made this diagnosis in 5 minutes and I feel its a bit hectic as she has been addicted to pills for some time... it's a bit scary to think that the shrink just said go on pills straight away and I don't understand how one can just make that call in 5 minutes of meeting a patient without any history or anything...

If you could assist in some direction as we want to get the best help available... I do understand that u give sessions as well and I know how u are through the contact on the site... if it's possible then please give me some info or contact details...

If there are any support groups available for this in Gauteng/Randburg/Cresta areas it would be great...

Cheers
Dude

Dear Dude, Ello, Ello, Ello !
Good to hear from you again, and to hea that your own life is reasonably pleasantly hectic.
Now, as to your Lady. As I explained in another recent message, I don't take referrals or new patients through this website, for a number of excellent reasons, including that doing so could cause repercussions that would disturb my right to run this service here online ( rules about advertising etc ).
As for her second shrink's consultation. Hard to judge from outside. Sometimes the fact that someone is significantly depressed is so obvious that it doesn't take long to be sure of this ; though personally I prefer the shrink to spend at least 30 minutes or more doing a full assessment to fully understand the problem, make a secure diagnosis, and to consider alternative treatments and explain them to the patient.
You're right that he previous addiction to tranquillizers is highly significant, and I hope she told him about that ( people don't always disclose very important information to the shrink). If he is prescribing Antidepressants for her, that should be fine --- they can help against anxiety symptoms as well as depression, but they're not addictive, as they work in a very different way chemically to the tranquillizers like the benzo / Valium family, to which addiction is easily gained. I've never come across someone addicted to the major antidepressants now in use, so she ought to be fine in that respect. She could also still be experiencing some of the late effects of coming off the tranquillizers, including irritability.
And as for Support Groups, check out the numbers given on this Forum's main page, where the organization for Anxiety & Depression has a contact number, through which they should be able to advise you on support groups available in specific areas.
Let us know how things go

1
Posted by: Princess Baby Shoes | 2004/09/29

Hey Dude,

You have asked all the questions your lady would have asked - you obviously know her very well... I think she would be happy to hear CyberShrink's advice - he sounds like a wise guy.

I also think your real concern in your lady's health and well-being as well as your ever loving supportive nature is already helping to set her on the road to recovery. She's lucky indeed!

Reply to Princess Baby Shoes