Question
Posted by: JJ | 2004/10/01

Elisa Testing Currently Used

I recently had an HIV Elisa test done at Lancet 5 weeks post exposure. Would you know what generation test they used. I asked someone who didnt seem sure at all and said its a first generation test. Why would they not employ the latest 4th generation technology and use very outdated testing equipment. How reliable is the test at 5 weeks.

Expert ImageArchive

I cannot comment on tests done at Lancet. Please contact your local lab where the test was done for more information. 5 Weeks is probably to early to do the test as the window period could be 3-6weeks. You should therefore repeat the Elisa test or do a HIV PCR test.