Question
Posted by: home trainer | 2007/02/27

eliptical trainer

hi ross

i know its been done to death and you arent a fan of home gyming and hey i agree with you. Though an ill family member and demanding job leaves me virtually no time away from home/work :(
Things should improve by end of the year but until then.

Today is day 3 of orbitrek - seem to manage 15minutes fine (is 45 to 60rpm right?) break out a nice sweat too.

I'm thinking 5 days (weekdays) at hopefully 20mins each. Then slowly up it to 25, and 30. and aim for 40mins. Trust me home training takes alot of discipline and so far so good.

Good idea or bad idea? Ideally i'd like to take up some other form of fitness and later (budget allowing) do some cycling early sunday mornings (only free time i get) That or save up for a rower or treadmill, though i quite like a rower workout.

Not looking to become mr universe, just lose the tummy and improve on fitness.

hi home trainer

Good idea, given your constraints. I'm not against the idea of home exercise, but my concern with it is always that it's so difficult to train at home, and as you point out, it takes so much discipline. But if that discipline is there, then there is no reason at all why home gym won't work just as effectively as any other form of exercise. And so your plan is sound, because you want to be doing 5 days where you can train consistently and build up a level of fitness that eventually allows you to maximize your results. And the systematic way to build it up is also ideal. But the key is that you must just be disciplined about it and be sure that you take every opportunity to introduce some variety. Even if that means moving your orbitrek into a different room of the house, or something so arbitrary - it makes a differenc,e and nothing kills progress like a lack of variety!

So keep it up, and hopefull the situation changes to allow your to either get different equipement or to get outside, but until then, just stick at it, I'm sure it will pay off!

Ross