Question
Posted by: Jacklyn | 2005/11/26

Eligibility for Inferon Beta (AVONEX)

I have heard that one doesn't qualify for Inferon Beta treatment unless one has had THREE (3) attacks of Multiple Sclerosis and there is Radiological evidence (even though 5 percent of patients with Multiple Sclerosis, particularly "galloping MS", will NEVER have a positive MRI). Is this correct ? Is this an eligibility criteria of the Medical Aid schemes or of the pharmaceutical industry ?

Jacklyn, I have no idea. I have forwarded your question to a friend of mine that specialises in MS – hopefully he will be able to help. Please repost this question by the end of the week so that I have somewhere to post his reply. Good luck.