Question
Posted by: Jacklyn | 2005/11/29

Eligibility Criteria for Inferon Beta (Avonex) again

Message:
I have heard that one doesn't qualify for Inferon Beta treatment unless one has had THREE (3) attacks of Multiple Sclerosis and there is Radiological evidence (even though 5 percent of patients with Multiple Sclerosis, particularly "galloping MS", will NEVER have a positive MRI). Is this correct ? Is this an eligibility criteria of the Medical Aid schemes or of the pharmaceutical industry ?
Date: 26/11/2005

Subject:
Posted by: CyberDoc
Message:
Jacklyn, I have no idea. I have forwarded your question to a friend of mine that specialises in MS – hopefully he will be able to help. Please repost this question by the end of the week so that I have somewhere to post his reply. Good luck.
Date: 28/11/2005

Jacklyn, I still haven’t heard anything from the neurologist. Please mail this to CyberDoc@mweb.co.za and I’ll let you know as soon as he replies. Good luck.