Question
Posted by: Jacklyn | 2005/12/01

Eligibility criteria for Inferon Beta (Avonex)

I have heard that one doesn't qualify for Inferon Beta treatment unless one has had THREE (3) attacks of Multiple Sclerosis and there is Radiological evidence (even though 5 percent of patients with Multiple Sclerosis, particularly "galloping MS", will NEVER have a positive MRI). Is this correct ?

Is this an eligibility criteria imposed by the Medical Aid schemes or the pharmaceutical industry ?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Jacklyn,

Various studies and reports have suggest that the earlier MS patients are given substantial amounts of beta interferon, the greater the benefits are. There have been other studies suggesting that the drug can reduce the number and frequency of relapses that can leave MS sufferers progressively more disabled.
I may be wrong, but the mentioned criteria is probably imposed by medical aid schemes due to the significant cost of beta interferon treatment.