Question
Posted by: Karin | 2007/06/19

electrolytes

I read that one of the men who passed away after the comrades had a heart attack that they suspect was due to an electrolyte imbalance. How would one competing in any long distance race eg running or cycling take care of themselves to prevent things such as an electrolyte imbalance ? what should we be doing before or during etc

Dear Karin
Electrolyte imbalances can be very dangerous and also result in death in extreme cases. To prevent such electrolyte imbalances when you are exercising strenuously it is necessary to ensure that the liquid you ingest is not just water. Nowadays there are many different sports drinks available (Energade, Powerade, EnerG, etc) that contain water (for hydration), carbs for fuel and sodium and potassium to prevent electrolyte imbalances. So try out which product agrees best with you while you are training (some of these products cause abdominal discomfort) and then use it when you are competing. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search with the terms "Ideal Sports Beverage' to find the 2 articles I have written on this subject.