Question
Posted by: Allan | 2007/05/11

Electrical current through my brain

About once a month, I get the following symptons that last for about a week:
Dull pain on the temple (left-side),
and what I can only describe as short, intermittent, electrical impulses that flash across my head. They sometimes feel as if they are travelling from my head to the rest of my body.
This lasts for about half a second and recur 4-5 times a minute.
I have had this for the last 6 months, and would like to know what I can do to stop it.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Allan,

There is no simple answer - you have to be properly diagnosed by headache specialists – there are various possible causes for your symptoms, and your pain can be coming from any of a number of structures.

Anyone suffering from symptoms like yours must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).