Question
Posted by: miggs | 2005/07/27

Electric Blanket in Pregnancy- Please answer a.s.a.p if you can

Please excuse me if this sound like a funny question.I am 10 weeks pregnant. I have a electric blanket, I switched it on the other night my son came to stand next to me, I stroked his face and it felt funny like a vibrating feeling. I immediateley switched it off and it stopped. I first thought I was lying on a nerve.The other night I switched it on again and the same thing happened. I now switch it off and at the plug before I get into bed. I didnt feel funny at all just this funny feeling in my arm. I used this blanket with my previous pregnancy as well. Please advise what it could be, I am desperate to know if this could have damaged my baby, I am one of those very paranoid mothers to be. I truly hope you'r not going to say that I did damage to my baby....cause I will be in a state for the next couple of months.... I must also say I am a very stressed person and have to have messages to my neck allot can this be it. Please advise me as soon as you can...

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It is very unlikely that your using the electric blanket during pregancy has harmed your babies. Scientists are not yet sure if electromagnetic fields (EMF), the force fields around power lines and electrical appliances like electric blankets, have negative health effects. But even if they do, it’s likely that these effects are slight. Still, until we know more, I would advise not sleeping with the blanket switched on while you’re pregnant, just in case. (Actually, I’d advise this generally, not only during pregnancy.) It’s fine to use it to warm up the bed before you turn in, as you have been doing.

Also make sure that your blanket isn’t faulty. You must use it exactly according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and you should have it checked about once every 3 years, or if anything about it looks different (scorch marks, exposed element etc).

The sensation in your arm could have several possible causes. If it continues to bother you, please consult your doctor.