Question

Electric blanket and osteoporosis

I'm thinking of buying an electric blanket for winter, but I have osteoporosis and I've heard that it will make the condition worse. Is this true?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

It is very unlikely that using an electric blanket will have an effect on your osteoporosis. There have been studies done on the issue, but the evidence has been contradictory and inconclusive. Scientists are not yet sure if electromagnetic fields, the force fields around power lines and electrical appliances like electric blankets, have negative health effects. But even if they do, it’s likely that these effects are slight.

Still, I would advise not sleeping with the blanket switched on as a general health and safety measure; rather use it to warm up the bed before you get into it.

Also make sure that your blanket isn’t faulty. You must use it exactly according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and you should have it checked about once every 3 years, or if anything about it looks different (scorch marks, exposed element etc).

Have a look at our Osteoporosis Centre (under Medical)