Question
Posted by: Stephie | 2004/11/14

ELECTIVE CAESARIAN research

Dear Doc,
I read that new research shows that it's better to have an elective caesarian after the 39th week of the pregnancy but not before as it is beneficial for baby to be inside until the 40th week, which I kind of agree as it's a full term pregnancy.
Can you please, comment on this and also can you tell me how it would affect the baby, e.g.development or health if she/he is born a few weeks earlier.

Caesareans are done between 38 and 39 weeks to avoid the small risk of complications such as breathing difficulties. If a caesarean is done before this time, it is usually because of a complication where it is risky to continue with the pregnancy. It is then a balance between the risks of continuing the pregnancy and the risk of breathing problems in the baby.