Question
Posted by: brian | 2007/06/02

elbow pain

Hi, I have had reoccuring elbow pain for the last 6 1/2 months now. I am very active and lift weights 4-5 days a week. Over six months ago.. i was doing some heavy tricep exercises and started to feel a sharp pain in my elbow.. I was stupid and finished my workout anyways! Now, I cant do any type of bench or over head press, and I cant do any exercises where I straighten my arm with weight resistance, without an extremely sharp pain followed by a week of discomfort. The aftermath of a weekend of sports is an aching pain on the inside of my elbow surrounding the "funny bone"... and it sometimes radiates to my hand.. I don't have some of the symptoms of tendinitis (redness, bruising, swelling) but thats what it sounds like... do you think it might have to do with my Ulnar Nerve or maybe my UCL? I havent been to the doctor yet because my health insurance doesn't kick in 'til August. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Brian
A couple of likely possibilities.( and obviously could be others)You're quite right in there being a likely tendinosits of the triceps. It doesn't have too be really inflammed.
Another possibity is impingement where there is pressure on the tendon. This tends to cause a snapping noise.

Could also be a nerve entrapment with radiation to the hand.

You still seem to be doing weights. Go down to 50% of what you're doing and only increase by 10% every 10 workouts. If painful, go back down.
Antinflammatories may help as well as even a brace.

If its there all the time its possible that there's even been a rupture with too much strain.

Dr P