Question
Posted by: joey | 2007/08/06

eglynol

Hi CS, thanks for your comments. What is it exactly that you don't like about eglynol and why would it be so favoured in South Africa as opposed to other countries?

I suspect some rather dodgy teaching in the earlier days, of doctors who have never forgotten the lessons. I have never and would never orescribe it as it is NOT an antidepressant, or a proper drug actually for anything in particular, and there is just no good research evidence for it as the best treatment for anything at all. Its not even mentioned in many excellent textbooks. Its a messy chemical, not belonging clearly to any recognized family of useful drugs. It can have unfortunate side-effects. And its a very OLD drug, licensed back in the days when the licensing authorities were much less demanding about requiring good evidence of safety and effectiveness before allowing such products on the market.