Question
Posted by: Kiepie. | 2007/11/29

Eggs.

Hi Doc, I have read somewhere that eggs have the highest sulpher [65mg]. Eggs also supply iron,lecithin,zinc and trace elements which convert cholesterol to useful steroids hormones.Is this true? I have read of an experment in which univercity students ate 8 or 9 eggs a day ,[I have forgotten the details] with no increase in blood cholesterol levels] .Where then has the cholesterol dissapeared to? Steroids,perhaps? Do they really know?? Or is it just a thumb-suck??

Dear Kiepie
Eggs as such are an excellent food being rich in high-quality protein, plenty of iron, zinc and trace elements as you say. Eggs do have a high sulphur content, which can be a problem for some individuals, esp with gas production. The experiment you are referring to was conducted at the University of Potchefstroom with young health men. They did eat about 10 eggs a day and did not experience an increase in cholesterol. This could be due to excretion via bile or metabolism or high levels of activity. However, in general white South Africans tend to have problems with a high cholesterol intake, so the Heart Foundation has recommended that adults eat only 4 eggs per week. The cholesterol in food is used to produce various hormones such as the sex hormones, but most people do not need to eat 10 eggs a day. Moderation is the key! You can contact the University of Potchefstroom and ask for the Human Nutrition Department to obtain a copy of this paper.