Question
Posted by: Chants | 2007/03/08

Eggs

Hi good day,

I just want to ask something: My current diet I am doing at the moment I have to eat 1 to 2 eggs each morning, everyday..is this ok? Doesn't eggs give high Coles roll? I sometimes suffer from high blood pressure, (not always), but I must also say that I get stressed easily..

Dear Chants
1 to 2 eggs a day will indeed increase your blood cholesterol levels, because 2 eggs provide 419 mg of cholesterol and the recommended daily intake is only 300 mg a day!! The SA Heart Foundation has recommended that adult South Africans should not eat more than 4 eggs per week. With your high bp it is really not a good idea to also increase your cholesterol intake so drastically. I am sure that the diet you are using is a high-fat, high-protein diet which cannot be recommended for long-term use. Because of your hypertension, I would recommend the use of the DASH Diet to lower your bp and your weight. Click on "Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp, and will also assist with weight loss and lowering cholesterol.
Take care

2
Posted by: Helen | 2007/03/08

Read page 109 at the top about the benefits of eggs, all makes sense. It si by Patrick Holford in the YOU 8 march edition.

Reply to Helen
Posted by: Sue | 2007/03/08

That is a subject many dont agree on, in the latest YOU there is a write up about Patrick Holford a world remowned nutritionalist, he recons eggs are fine, I think one or two a day for the duration of a diet is fine, each dieticians views are different, it becomes too confusing ! Patrick Holford is so well known and huge research done so I recon listen to him and ignore the rest to prevent confusion.

Reply to Sue