Question
Posted by: Mimi | 2006/11/02

Eggs

What causes a woman, who is on stimulatory drugs to only get 2 eggs. Was on IVF and am 37 years old. Could my age be the problem? Why did I only get two eggs?

Dear Mimi

There are numerous reasons for obtaining only two eggs. However, it would be important to know whether only two follicles had developed or whether there were significantly more follicles but only two eggs were found. In such a situation one would assume that there is a high percentage of empty follicles and therefore a metabolic problem within the ovaries. If however, only two follicles had developed and both follicles yielded one egg each, this could imply either poor responding ovaries or underdosage in the stimulation protocol. I certainly would have expected more eggs given your age and I would believe that, provided all other factors are normal, that the stimulation regime dose was probably too low.