Question
Posted by: Christopher | 2003/02/06

Eggplant

I would like to know what amount of eggplant should be eaten a week.
I have been eating eggplant occasionally for years but recently started to eat it 3 to 4 times a week. I then started to have gas and diaharria and was wondering if eggplant was the culprit. The website also mentioned not eating spinach more than twice a week. Before I found your website I was eating a spinach omelet almost everyday and discovered it too was giving me gas. Is that in fact a result of eating to much spinach and eggplant?
Thanks,
Christopher

Dear Christopher
Spinach can act as a mild laxative and it may give you gas and eggplant would probably be similar. Any food eaten in excess can cause problems. If you find that by cutting out these 2 foods for about 2 weeks, your flatulence problem clears up, then it is probable that they are the culprits. If the problem persists, then do have a medical checkup because excessive gas production can be indicative of various digestive problems such as IBS, ulcers, food intolerance, etc.