Question
Posted by: EGON | 2003/02/08

"EGG WHITE"

I have been eating boiled egg white but have no idea how many calories it contains and if its healthy. Is this a better alternative to eating the entire boiled egg and how many boiled egg whites can a person eat a week?

Dear Egon
The white of egg contains high-quality proteins, B vitamins and some minerals. It is regarded as the 'Gold standard' for protein. The egg white has a much lower energy content (221 kJ/100g raw white vs 1471 kJ/100g raw yolk) than the yolk. According to the Heart Foundation of SA you can, however, still use 4 whole eggs per week even if you have raised blood cholesterol levels. Seeing that it is advisable to never eat any food in excess, I would reckon that one egg white a day would be prudent.