Question
Posted by: Janine | 2007/08/21

Egg quality

Dear Dr

I'm residing outside Johannesburg, and would like to know if you could help me please.
I got devastating news yesterday. I feel like dying. I did my 5th ivf cycle yesterday and learnt that my eggs again did not fertilized. I've never had a transfer. I am 32 years of age. My fertility specialist says that my eggs looked terrible after trying to fertilize them. This happens everytime. My husband's sperm analysis is normal. Could a woman my age have such poor eggs. My doctor told me my only options are: donor eggs, adoption or staying without kids. If I were in my late thirties almost 40 I would have considered donor eggs. I believe the problem lies with my ovaries. I was first diagnosed with pocs and endo in 2002 . When I had my last operation in January I was informed that I do not have endo anymore. I also had cysts removed from my ovaries which were normal cysts. when doing ivf I have multiple small follicles, although I had 4 follicles which were 19-20mm. But still there was no fertilization, or they were of poor quality. I'm so desperate to have my own baby, I'm prepared to go through anything or any procedure. I'm living a healthy lifestyle, trying to do everything right. But then again people that smokes, drinks alcahol have healthy eggs to produce a baby. How does that work. Have you treated conditions like mine before. Or should I just accept that I will never have my own biological child. Please help me.

Dear Janine

In the same way that men have deteriorating sperm quality (morphology), there appears to be a growing number of younger women producing bizarre or abnormal eggs, which lead to fertilisation failure. However, the situation may vary from cycle to cycle and from IVF to IVF and therefore my advice to you would be to continue trying. Also at this point it might be advisable to return to a natural cycle IVF so that the best egg, which the body selects naturally, could be utilised and may result in a good quality embryo. Furthermore natural cycles are cost effective in this situation and should three natural cycle IVF's fail, perhaps one could look at options which may be undertaken in the laboratory setting and which I would gladly discuss with you at that stage.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/08/21

did they try ICSI to fertilise the eggs? (Where they inject the sperm into the egg)

Reply to Dee