Question
Posted by: Daffy | 2004/01/07

Effexor 150mg - it is making me feel wierd ????

I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 7 years ago. I have been on Cypramil, coming off it in about Feb 2003. I decided to go off all anti-depressants. My Psychiatrist recommended that i stay on medication and prescribed Effexor 75mg increasing it to 150mg in about November 2003.
In the last couple of weeks/months I have been feeling wierd. Shakey, nauseous, dizzy, sweating - this past week it has been even worse, dizzy to the point of nearly fainting, terrible nausea and extreme anxiety. For the anxiety i have now started taking Xanor. I still just feel wierd - my husband is getting the hell in with me, because I cannot explain exactly how I feel - just weird and strange. Is this the medication that is causing these feelings or could there be some other problem. I just want to feel normal again and not have this, sick, anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Dear Daffy,
Of course, this is really a question you ought to be discussing with your psychiatrist. Generally, the wisest policy when one has a chronic / recurent Depression, is to stay on the medication that worked best in relieving the symptoms ( in this case, presumably Cipramil --- and fortunately there's a significantly cheaper equivalent gneric versio of the drug now available, called Cilift ). Personally, I would also have suggested that you remain on medicaton, though I would not have thought it best to switch to a new medication at that point.
Efexor can benefit one in the same way as Cipramil/Cilift but also works on a different set of chemicals, and this could possibly account for some of the new symptoms you're describing. Rather than continue on a drug which could be causing some flare-up in such anxiety symptoms and add Xanor to try to control the side-effects, I'd have thought you could be greatly better off going back to Cipramil / Cilift, or one of it's close relatives. But this is something which you would need to discuss with your psychiatrist, to plan a seisible and orderly change.