Question
Posted by: Hooked | 2007/12/11

Effects of skydiving?

Dear Dr,

I recently started skydiving - Jumping out of the plane at 11 000 feet and free falling for +- 40sec. I was instantly hooked and are so excited about this new adventure in my life. This made me wonder what physical reactions/responses take place when one skydives?

Dear Hooked
Skydiving is interestingly regarded as a "stressor" in most medical articles!
1. Heart rate goes up ( to about 177 beats per minute in most cases)
2. Skydive elicited extreme anxiety, hyperarousal, and peritraumatic dissociation in a significant proportion of skydivers
3. Cortisol and beta endorphin levels rise
4. Parachute jumping enhances blood nerve growth factor levels and the distribution of nerve growth factor
receptors in lymphocytes
5. Adrenaline, Nor-adrenaline, prolactin, TSH, and growth hormone are released in physiologically significant amounts in association with the stress of parachute jumping

I could not find any articles on what happens to the blood pressure - but with the hormonal increases it probably rises.
Dr BEts