Question
Posted by: Depro's | 2007/05/22

Effects of depression on ageing & health

Good day,
I just would like to know what effect does depression, major depressive disorder, sleeping problems & all related issues have on my appearance & health ???
Also, how to treat this & prevent it from any futher damage.
Thx.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi “Depro’s”, thank you for the question and sorry for the long delay with the answer.
I think first and foremost is to treat your depression. You should see your general practitioner and a psychiatrist for this problem, as it is vital to get the depression under control.
Following from this I do not know of any direct consequences of depression on ageing, but one can have indirect ones. Furthermore, good sleep (8 or more hours a day), exercise and good nutrition are all vital for not only your health and mental well being but also for keeping you looking young. One can also look at the range of Solal’s natural anti-depressant range such as: ‘Naturally High’. Speak to your GP and pharmacist for adding other supplements to this regime as Solal also recommends if no improvement is noticed to progress to 5-HTP and then to Omega 3.
One should also look at other specific home care solutions such as:
· Avoid alcohol, marijuana, and other recreational drugs.
· Get involved in activities that make you happy, even if you don't feel like it.
· Spend time with family and friends.
· Try talking to clergy or spiritual advisors who may help give meaning to painful experiences.
· Consider prayer, meditation, tai chi, or biofeedback as ways to relax or draw on your inner strengths.
· Add omega-3 fatty acids to your diet, which you can get from cold-water fish like tuna, salmon, or mackerel.
· Take folate (vitamin B9) in the form of a multivitamin (400 to 800 micrograms).

If your depression occurs in the fall or winter months, try light therapy using a special lamp that mimics the sun.

Please note that I am by no means an anti depressant expert and the above is only a guideline that should be directed or overseen with your GP and psychiatrist.