Posted by: Sentles | 2008/08/22

Effects of Depo Provera on fertility

I have iron deficiency and have been put on Depo Provera for 3 months(about 2 shots) after which I will be taking oral contraceptives.This is all to limit my menstrual cycle as the doctor belives that I loss a lot of blood and iron in this process.If I want to have kids by late 2010 into 2011 should I take the Depo for less than the 3 months??What is the effect of the 2 shots of Depo on the possibility of having kids by 2011?

Dear Sentles

The use of Depo Provera and oral contraceptives does not decrease your chances or possibility of falling pregnant. The effect of taking 2 shots of Depo and wanting a child in 2011 is also not a problem. Once stopping the oral contraceptive pill the chances of conception is almost immediate. However it is important that if you are using Depo Provera then the chances of returning to an ovulatory state can take up to 6 months after the last injection.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo