Question
Posted by: blessed | 2007/05/02

effects from weightloss

i am on a weightloss programme and have a huge stomach. I have joined the gym and am doing well so far. my question is for those successful 'weightlosers', when you reach your goal weight are you left with sagging skin around your tummy or because you have lost all the weight and gyming you will have a flat and tight tummy? How do i go about preventing this now, so that i do not end up with loose skin?

Dear Blessed
Loose skin is a problem when one loses a lot of weight. Basically a gradually weight loss of about 0,5 to 1 kg per week, should give your body a chance to adapt to the changes and not to develop hanging skin. There are a variety of salon treatments that say they help such as endermology, but I have not seen any scientific papers comparing these methods with each other. I think this is a case where you have to try out a method to see if it will work for you or not. In addition, doing daily targeted exercise for the problem areas (tummy, hips, etc) may also help to firm up your body as you lose weight. I think for this option you need to consult a biokineticist (look them up in the phone book) because you will need specific exercises at different times of your weight loss programme to prevent the loose skin. Certain skin oils should help to prevent stretch marks.