Question
Posted by: School Mom | 2004/12/01

Effect of Mercury in Ink labelling kit

Every year I go through the nightmare task of labelling clothes and stationery for school. A lady in the area is selling an ink labelling system with rubber stamp that is appranetly permanent and the schools are promoting her products. My concern is that the ink contains mercury and I am unsure of the impact this may have on the children's health. Her response when the question was raised was that "There have been no comebacks in 7 years". I would hate to put my children and others at risk of mercury poisoning. How can I get reassurance that the product is safe?

Expert ImagePharmacist

I'm no ink expert and can not give a meaningful ink analysis. Best would be to try and determine what the ink's mercury content is. A toxicologist would then be able to determine whether this product is safe or not. Since mercury is toxic, another option would be to stop using the system if you believe that it does contain harmfull amounts of mercury.
However, I doubt that the mercuty content (should it contain any) would be high enough to cause harm.