Question
Posted by: Kay | 2002/12/13

Eczema in babies

My five month old baby has eczema (cheeks and wrists only). Does this pre-dispose my baby to Lupus conditions in later life? The eczema condition seems to be similar to Lupus, especialy with regards the fact that it is seems to emanate from over active cells in the immune system. There is a cream available in the US called Protopic and it does not contain steriods - is it available here?

I am currently using a doctor's prescription (Procutan / Acqueous) to treat my baby and it has so far been effective. I think Procutan is a steroid creme. Is it safe to use it for long periods of time?

Kay, if it’s just eczema that your childs has, you don’t have to worry about it going over into Lupus. Lupus has a skin rash that may look like eczema, but this doesn’t mean that eczema will go over into Lupus.
If you can let me know (as a new question please) what the active ingredient in Protopic is, I can find out for you whether we have a similar product in SA.
Procutan® is a cortisone cream, but if used correctly it will cause less problems than the eczema in the long run. Good luck.