Question
Posted by: Dale | 2005/01/05

Eczema and immunomodulators - availability in SA

My daughter (1 year) has developed Eczema. I have done a lot of internet research as to the best treatment regimines and it seems as though Protopic (Tacrolimus) is number one.

This ointment appears to only be available in the US, or via online pharmacies to the UK / Europe. It is manufactured by Fujisawa.

What are the prospects of sourcing it locally - are there protocols it still has to go through?

Also, I suffer from Vitiligo and Protopic (in conjuction with narrowband UVB) has been a very effective remedy.

Is it possible to compound a tacrolimus rich ointment?

I am determined to get my hands on this medication - can you suggest anything?

Expert ImagePharmacist

The product that you are referring to is not available in SA. Online pharmacies may be your only option, otherwise you’ll have to consult a dermatologist for his opinion.

1
Posted by: jollygreen | 2005/01/21

I have had eczema all my life and belong to the Nat Eczema Society in London. Also read about tacrolimus and when I asked my pharmacist about it, he had just been to the launch of a cream containing it the week before. I had to order it, it was about R500 for a small tube and it didnt help me at all, Cant remember if it was called Protopic though, but it has definitely been in SA for about 6 months.

Reply to jollygreen