Question
Posted by: scratch bag | 2006/07/17

eczema and dogs

Dear doc

My husband has bad eczema and seasonally breaks out in huge red itchy patches which look more like ringworm formations.
he insists that our family pet dog sleeps in the bed with us, directly on our sheets and pillows- he is very affectionate towards out dog and has constant "skin to fur" contact with her. there is dog fur all over on his clothes and bedding Is this good for his skin? is sharing a bed with a dog healthy generally??I

Expert ImageArchive

Cat hairs, dog hairs and horse hairs can irritate the skin and cause itching. Itching leads to scrathcing which induces or aggravates eczema. I do not think that sleeping with a dog is generally healthy.