Question
Posted by: T | 2004/11/22

eczema and diet

I have suffered from atopic eczema all my life, and it seems to be getting worse the older I get. (Am now 24 years old)

What I would like to know is - are my flare-ups related to the types of food I eat and if so, which foods should I avoid?

The reason I ask, is that I suspect there may be something wrong with my digestive process. I feel permanently bloated, even if I only eat small portions. Also, I have very irregular bowel movements.

I was wondering if the two problems might be linked?

thanking you
T

Dear T
Atopic eczema may be food-related but usually in infants, not adults. Your stomach symptoms seem to indicate Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), so I would recommend that you consult your dr so that we can obtain a diagnosis before we make dietary changes. Also ask the dr to test you for potential food allergies as it would be wrong to start cutting out whole food groups without knowing if you are actually allergic or not.