Question
Posted by: waif | 2005/11/18

ECTOTROPIC HEART BEAT

Just been wondering: My Gp found that I have an ectotropic heartbeat. That means that some of the beats are longer and others shorter. My boyf says my heart beats been remixed.

Does this have any implications on my levels of activity. should I be concerned about this when choosing workouts or would it improve the condition?

Hi Waif

i suspect (and please bear in mind that I'm not a cardiologist) that the risk depends on the cause of the problem. Ectopic beats are usually benign and don't require any treatment and then don't increase the risks of exercise at all. There are cases where the ectopic beat can indicate an underlying problem which means the risk of other problems increases and in this case, exercise may 'expose' them. Therefore, the key is to know whether your ectopic beats have an underlying cause, or whether they are benign. I have trained and coached athletes who have ectopic beats without any problems at all, but then they are benign. So that's what you need to find out first. i suspect, however, that if you have been exercising for a long time, that you don't have a problem, it would likely have been found out by now. but confirm with a GP before you do exercise - better safe than sorry!