Question
Posted by: rexel | 2004/11/23

Ectopic Pregnancy

Does anyone have any info on this? I know its when an egg is fertilised in the tubes, what I dont know is the procedure dealing with this, can u still have the baby?

If you have an ectopic pregnancy, it will have to be surgically removed or it can rupture and cause internal bleeding. It would not be possible to carry on with the pregnancy.

3
Posted by: PRINCESS | 2004/11/24

HI THERE
MYISTER HAD AN ECTOPIC PREGNANCY AND THEY DETECTED IT LATE SO THEY HAD TO REMOVE THE TUBE.SHE WAS TOLD THAT WITH THE ONE TUBE LEFT SHE CAN STILL HAVE AS MANY KIDS AS SHE WANTS.SHE HAS A BEAUTIFL BABY GIRL NOW A YEAR AFTER HER ECTOPIC.

Reply to PRINCESS
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/23

I've had an ectopic pregnancy.

No, you can't keep the baby. They can't remove it from the fallopian tube (or wherever else it has decided to implant) and put it into your womb. Perhaps gynaedoc will explain why.

They do two or three quantitative beta tests to see if your HCG levels are doubling every 48 hours or not. If they dip down or stay the same, it indicates an ectopic.

They scan to check for free fluid which is also another sign of ectopic. It is this fluid pushing on your diaphragm which causes the shoulder pain you feel.

If your tube ruptures, you will know about it as its extremely sore. Despite this, I thought I was having period pains and only went to the GP a week later when my "period" of bright red blood didn't stop.

They then do a laparascopy to check if it is an ectopic pregnancy and remove it. If your tube has not ruptured then they just remove the embryo. If your tube has ruptured, then they put dye through your other tube to see if it is blocked. If not, then they remove your damaged tube. If the other is blocked, then they try to repair the damaged tube, but it is not usually successful. Sometimes they do a D&C as well.

I think that if they catch the ectopic early enough they can give you a pill or an injection so that your body will reabsorb the embryo.

By about 6 to 8 weeks, your tube will rupture though.

I now have one fallopian tube. My gynae said that even if I am 100% sure that I'm not pregnant, I still need to do a pregnancy test if my period is 2 days late. If its positive, then I have to do a quantitative beta test immediately.

You can have a baby after losing a fallopian tube. I fell pregnant without any fertility treatment within 5 months of the ectopic pregnancy.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: ST | 2004/11/23

Hi Rexel

If you feel that you have an ectopic pregnancy please consult your gynae as soon as possile. Unfortunatley you cannot have the baby if it is in the tubes it will have to be removed.

I don't know that much about it but I also felt that I had an ectopic pregnancy when I first found out I was pregnant. I consulated my gynae and he did an ultrasound an everything was normal, sometimes it just feels that way because of the changes in your body.

Please! see your Gynae ASAP.

I hope everything goes well.

Reply to ST