Question
Posted by: Mientjie | 2007/03/20

EATINGPLAN TWO OCEANS

Can you please give me a eating plan for the last week before the two oceans? I am going to walk the half marathon and need a lot of energy!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Mientjie

Firstly it is important to eat for the sports you are engaging in as a way of life and not as a quick fix two weeks before an event – this way you are already setting yourself up for some level of failure. Secondly I can not give you an eating plan if I do not know what you weight is nor know what your energy output levels are. However, I can assist you with a few guidelines which I also gave to a question asked last week. I will repeat the guidelines here for you.

• Make sure that you ingest 400-800 ml of water per hour during the race. Replace 20 mmol/l of sodium per hour which will only partially replace the salt lost.
• Consume 50-60g carbs per hour during the race.
• Carbo load 3 days before the race by consuming 8-10g carbs per kilogram of body weight. Split this intake over 6 meals.
• Reduce fibre in your diet 24 hours before the race
• Eat a pre-race meal 2-3 hours beforehand – high in carbs & low in fat – e.g. fruit and yoghurt. If you cannot stomach food before the event make sure you follow point 2.
• Start the race well hydrated: consume 250 – 500 ml of a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink immediately before the race.
• Ingest lots of high GI carbs after the event to refill the glycogen stores. Also add some protein and salty foods to replace the lost sodium.

Good luck! I certainly wish you a prosperous event!!
Vanessa

1
Posted by: mientjie | 2007/03/23

vanessa My weight is 78kg and my weekly training is 30km.

Reply to mientjie