Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2007/04/02

Eating prawns whilst pregnant

Hi I'm 11 weeks and we're having family from overseas over for dinner. They want a prawn dinner and my husband has offered to cook it for them. Can I eat some or would you rather I recommend to stay away from prawns....

As long as you are not allergic to prawns, it should be okay.

2
Posted by: Lou | 2007/04/02

The reason you are usually told to avoid shell fish is due to the higher risk of food poisoning. If you do get sick from shellfish, it is generally worse than other food groups due to the bacteria taht can thrive in shell fish, and of course this can put your pregnancy at risk. I'd rather avoid the prawns till after you've had the baby.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: M | 2007/04/02

My doc says they are fine as long as cooked and there is no allergies in the family to them.... most things are ok in moderation. Enjoy.

Reply to M