Question
Posted by: kim | 2005/07/28

Eating Plan to lose weight diagnosed for Thyroid & Polcystic ovaries

Can some one please provide me with a eating plan or diet to lose weight as i have polycystic ovaries & a underactive thyroid.
My height is 1.59 m, & my weight 66kgs, Age 23yrs. Please help i really need to lose weight as i am begining to put on more!!!

Dear Kim
Your present BMI = 26, which is just above the normal range of 18-25. To achieve your ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 56 kg. I trust that you are receiving medical treatment with Eltroxin for your underactive thyroid? if not, ask the dr to prescribe this hormone for you. If you have PCOS then you probably also suffer from insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, PCOS, medications and other conditions such as overweight , into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Also start doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1
Posted by: Cindy | 2005/07/29

I have also been battling with my weight but have ever since I was I read that taking 2 tablespoons of Honey plus a teaspoon of Cinnamon boiled in one cup of water aids 1. In the morning half an hour before breakfast and 2. Before you go to bed at night aids a lot with weight loss. I can say that the method works for me because I have lost quite few centrimetres and have been on it for only 2 and and half weeks. I have also tried to cut back on carbohydrates especially at night. I don't know if this may work for you but it certainly has for me. And if you have to eat bread ensue that it is toasted and have that with grape fruit in the morning (2 T/slices wholewheat, 1 boiled egg and half a glass of grapefruit). Midmorning have yhoghurt and at lunch protein plus vegies and same at night for dessert have a bowl of mixed fruit or just an apple or orrange. Drink your honey and cinnamon just before bedtime. You will see the difference if you perservere

Reply to Cindy