Question
Posted by: marc | 2006/11/12

eating plan for cyclist training 135km

please could you help me with a eating plan as i am training for a 135km cycle race.i have run comrades and try to eat health but feel i could eat the house out at 16h30 when i get home.i have cereal for b/fast sammie ham&lett for lunch then pasts with mince or stew or pork chops fish or chicken.ride 180-240km per week .i am 1.74m and weigh 82kg.i drink about 2-3lt water per day and a litre of energade or powerade after a hard session in the morning.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Dear Mark

With this limited information I have calculated you to use about 2365 calories daily, plus about 1500 calories for your exercise regime which equates 3865 calories per day. If possible determine your exercise calorie usage by a heart rate monitor then adjust the 1500 calories accordingly.

Make sure that you split this energy need into 50-60% carbs, 20-30% protein, and 20% fat and into six meals per day which will give you results you are after. Taking liquid carbs after training is paramount thus the energade is great – keep in mind though that the body cannot consume more than 60g carbs per hour thus split that litre over 2 hours.

Good luck and take care

Vanessa