Posted by: Andrea | 2008/07/08

Eating out

I am currently trying to lose some weight and am eating a balanced low fat diet.

My inlaws invited us to dinner at a nice restaurant on Friday night. Could you please help me to make the right choices in what to eat at the restaurant? Since I've started on the diet I have not been in the "restaurant situation". Please help.

Dear Andrea
I am glad to hear that you are using a sensible approach to losing weight. Eating out need not be a problem. You can order grilled fish, or calamari or lean steak (select the smallest portion), skip the potatoes and all sauces, but order fresh salad. If you are served a massive portion of meat, ask for a doggie bag and eat the remainder at one or even 2 other light meals (lunches). If you do have a dessert then only have fresh fruit and if this is not available, just have coffee (cappuccino with foam and artificial sweetener) to end your meal. Regarding drinks, I would stick to bottled or soda water or light white wine diluted with ice cubes or soda water (make the drink last all evening!).
I hope you have a lovely evening.