Question
Posted by: JJJ | 2005/12/07

Eating Habits

II struggle to eat right; I’ll give you an example of what my daily routine is:

Morning: Big bowl of Oats cooked with fat free milk and 2-table spoons of sugar.
11’o clock: Evox lean pro shake 15g protein with water.
2-3 ‘o clock: Evox lean pro shake 15g protein with water, or nothing or Apple.
3’o clock: I’ll go to gym.
4-6 ‘o clock: I’ll drink the shake if I didn’t drink it at 2 OR I’ll try to eat a fruit, but usually stick anything into my mouth.(Example: Grap cookie or biltong, or handfull of chips)
7’o clock: Dinner that’s mostly chicken, brown rice and vegetables.
OR what I started doing is eating a big bowl of salad with: chicken,2 eggs, feta cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce.
(Is that a healty salad?)
But Late at night I always want to eat something sweet or just craving for anything to eat.

Can you please advice me on my eating habit and say if I'm eating wrong and what do I need more of?

Dear JJ
Except for the lack of calcium in this diet (add 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt) and the excess of protein from those shakes, your eating habits seem ok. The salad is also fine but don't eat 2 eggs every day (4 a week are recommended by the SA Heart Foundation). Why not have some raisins or fresh fruit as dessert after supper. This should satisfy your cravings for something sweet. Otherwise have one of the cups of milk with 2 teaspoons of honey before you go to sleep (just remember to brush your teeth afterwards).
Enjoy