Posted by: @@@@ | 2005/06/15

Eating disorders<br>Eating disorder?

Im 21 and i dont really know what is wrong with me. Im not really that fat, but i ALWAYS feel fat. i think i might have sort of bulimia, but i dont lose weight and i dont purge everyday, only when i feel i ate too much. This has been going on for 2 and a half years. I found that following a restricting diet, like either fatfree or atkins helps me to feel a bit more in control.. i've been on atkins for 5 months now, but im not losing weight anymore, probably cause i had like a 4 day binge 10 days back. its terrible, cause when i start to binge, i literally eat as much as i can, until i feel so uncomfortable and want to throw up!! Why am i doing this to myself (i always ask myself). I also dont feel like going to the gym, im so lazy and feel kind of depressed, especially when im stressed, or lonely or sad. Well i cant tell my parents, although they know im obsessed with my weight. Sometimes i feel as if i like feeling sorry for myself, or that if someone was to find out, they would. Dont know. How do you change your own image of yourself, or just accept yourself, cause its obvious that no one is perfect. But i want to wear more revealing clothes etc but just feel SOOO fat if i do. I really cant tell my parents so it you have any advise, i would be glad. THANKS.. feels beter to actually 'talk' about it.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Reader
I think the time has come to tell your parents about this problem you are struggling with. Anorexia and bulimia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911.
Go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.