Posted by: M* | 2009/02/18

Eating Disorder

I suffer from bulimia..been doing verY very good for the last 2 months and I' m pretty sure I' m close to being fully recovered.
I only eat salads, fruits, vegies and all healthy things- don' t eat take aways at all and no chocolates, no bread and nothing oily or fattening. Although I am weight concious, I also don' t eat as just stated because I don' t like that kind of food. I don' t enjoy that kind of food and I don' t want to start enjoying them. I have an appointment in March for Hypnosis. Could it change my mind set?
Will I ever get fat if I eat like I do now and exercise at least 3-4 times a week? I know 2months in recovery is not very convincing specially if you' ve been bulimic for 6years, but for some reason I can' t relate to other bulimic stories anymore. Is it possible for me to never purge again?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear M*
I am most relieved for your sake that you are coming to grips with your bulimia which is a most destructive condition. If you are on the way to recovery then why are you going for hypnosis? I think you still have the underlying mindset of a bulimic - you are scared of food, you only want to eat very-low-energy foods, you are scared of gaining weight and of relapsing - so I would recommend that you do get some professional help. If the hypnosis will be done by a clinical psychologist who will also help you to sort out your underlying psychological problems then I think it is a good idea, but don't go for hypnosis if the person is not a qualified clinical psychologist. You may also benefit from seeing a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a balanced diet that will not cause weight gain and to learn how to eat normally again.
Wishing you all the best

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.