Question
Posted by: cici | 2005/11/24

eating disorder

ttc for 6mnths nothing yet craving for soil eating soil like its chocolate could that lead to infertility?

Dear CICI

The medical term for what you are experiencing is called geophagia or pica. It may be as a result or consequence of iron defieciency or other trace element deficiency. You very possibily may be suffering from iron deficiency anaemia, i.e your blood count may be below the accepted normal values.

I would therfore suggest that you have a full blood count and iron studies done as soon as possible. Please note that eating soil can also predispose you to a number of possible infections and especially the risk of getting a worm infection. I therefore recommend that you take some iron supplements to minimise or decrease your craving for soil and avoid the risk of these infections from occurring.