Question
Posted by: Just want to be thinner!! | 2004/03/12

Eating disorder

I have been told i am insulin resistant and to eat every 3 hours but i just CANT do it! i only eat once a day at night and if im not hungry i dont even eat that. I used to go for 3 days without eating now i try to eat atleast once a day but its not high on my list of priorities i find that once i start eatinf i CANT STOP so i try to avoid eating!

I also dont drink as much as i should. I drink on average about 2 glasses of water a day... if that. I used to take diet pills but my b/f found them and made me stop. I just want to loose a little weight.. i wiegh about 65kgs at the moment and am about 5 ft 7

do i have an eating disorder??

Dear JWTBT,
If you were told you were "insulin resistant" by anyone other than a specialist in Internal medicine, it was probably a daft opinion. It sounds like you need the advice of a good dietician like my cyber-neighbour Dietdoc as to diet --- if indeed you need to diet at all. If you can exert so much control as to not eat for up to three days ( a REALLY bad idea from the point of view of your health ), then apply moe of that willpower towards eating a properly balanced and modest-sized meal thre times a day.
But overall, what you describe, and the way you talk about it, certainly does sound like an eating disorder, and ought to lead you to see a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and advice on treatment for it. The diet pills are NEVER ever a good idea, and you ought to drink more water, even before you get to see the shrink. Untreated eating disorders can really mess up your body and mind and can even be fatal, as well as, for instance, usually lowering your fertility.

2
Posted by: dit | 2004/03/12

"me" I stand to be corrected but your breath will only start smelling once you are in Ketosis, and it is highly dubious that you will be in ketosis after skipping one meal!

JWBT: Skipping meals does slow your metabolism down, and you will find that if you eat more regularly, you wont be prone to bingeing and you won't have to take diet pills to try and take your appetite away. Make yourself a meal plan, and stick to it - it will be in your best healthy interest, and trust me, you will lose much more weight, and it will stay off, if you actually keep your metabolism in tact.

Do you have an eating disorder? I'm no professional but you surely have disordered eating or the beginning of an eating disorder - try to find balance now before it is too late!

GOOD LUCK!!

Reply to dit
Posted by: Me | 2004/03/12

Do you know that if you skip one meal your breath starts to smell realy so imagine what it must smell like after 3 days, (Brushing and chewing gum does not help). the less you eat the slower your metabolism becomes to help your body cope and when you do eat your body stores everything that it can in the form of fat to help it through the next few days where it gets nothing. You are not helping your body by doing this. You are making it worse. Starving yourself is not the way to loose weight and keep it off. I eat 6 times a day but small meals and I have had a constant good weight for many years even after 2 children. Regular eating will speed up your metabolism but you need to give your body time to adjust to a new way of eating because you have trained it to store everything.

Reply to Me