Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/05/09

Eating birds - Scotty

My scottish terrier has started catching and eating birds, this isnt really a problem except for the fact that she gets really sick from the parasites that live in the gut of the bird. We have had her at the vet twice over the last 2 months, costing us around R500 a time. We are desperate that she stops this. Any ideas as to how we can stop her eating the birds or any ideas why she might be doing this? I thought it may be due to either boredom or she isnt getting enough protein in her diet. We feed her Royal Canin with chicken/beef or sardines.

The diet is fine. She is just exercising her hunting instinct. Please get her a Baskerville muzzle from your vet or Vet Shop. She can still drink through this but it will need to be removed at meal times. Also train her out of the habit by rewarding her when she ignores the birds.

2
Posted by: Dee | 2007/05/09

Thanks for the advice although I think the muzzle idea just wouldnt fly with her, she would sulk for days if we did that to her. I guess we would rather pay the vet fees then!!

Ill try the bell thing, thats an excellent idea!!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Kate | 2007/05/09

Hi Dee.
Perhaps you can attach a bell to her collar so that the birds hear her???
Sorry its the only thing I can think of.

I have Jack Russells and the only time they get any bird action is if they manage to steal a bird from one of my cats LOL.
Your Scotty must really have a talent for catching birds.

Reply to Kate