Question
Posted by: Mich | 2003/02/27

Eating before or after exercise?

My husband and I have bought the Taebo tapes and would like to start the programme. Unfortunately because my hubby starts work early in the morning the only time for exercising would be in the evening. What I would like to know is should we exercise before or after dinner and what time frame should elapse before exercising or eating?

HI there

It's up to you. Personally, I would prefer to have a light snack and hour before training, then train and then have supper afterwards, since once I've eaten my main meal, I like to realx and don't feel all that energetic.

But it's basically up to you!

4
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/03/01

This depends on what your objectives are. If you intend to burn fat then you should train on an empty stomach in the morning and not eat for about an hour after cardio training. This helps fat burning and in this I agree with BFL-Freak, but only for cardio training. If you are trying to change your body shape by building muscle with resistance training (the only way to do this, and most people feel comfortable with calling this "toning up" - when really it's bodybuilding!), then you should get protein and creatine (if you're using it) into your bloodstream as soon as possible after training to aid the recovery process. I take mine in the gym. What if you're trying to do both - most of us are? Then split your cardio and resistance training. This is a well tested method that most sucessful athletes will agree with.

Reply to Ma'at
Posted by: Russell | 2003/02/27

Do not exercise after a heavy meal. Your body uses blood to digest its food and this will not be available to your muscles during exercise. This is often why people feel sick or light-headed when exercising after eating.

If you feel you need enegy, eat or drink something that digests easily.

Hope this helps,
Russell.

Reply to Russell
Posted by: The Man | 2003/02/27

I would like to pose a question to the doc, I read in Mens Health that it is adviceable to eat immediately after excericising, this way your metabolism is high and burns down fat into energy quicker, is this true or not

Reply to The Man
Posted by: BFL-Freak | 2003/02/27

Before Supper and wait and hour before eating - your body will keep on "burning" fat for an hour after the exercise eating after excersice will stop the process and utilise the food as energy.

Reply to BFL-Freak