Question
Posted by: Dori | 2004/11/15

Eating before exercising

I am not sure? Must you eat before or after a workout. And how long should you wait before you do.

Hi Dori

You can eat either before or after, depending on practical things like time (for example, if you are training in the morning, then look at the time of day and eat whenever is most convenient), and also your preference. The best is to experiment and see what works for you, and then stick with it. A lot of people are unable to eat before, because it gives them stomach problems. If this is the case, then rather eat after. However, if you are one of the people who has to eat before or you get lightheaded or hungry during exercise, then you have to work out how to do this.

My advice, and the scientific evidence, is that you should eat at least one hour before, not sooner, because this causes problems. So, if you train in the afternoon, then a meal mid-afternoon is probably best, whereas if you train in the morning, then something before is good. This is where practical comes in - if you are training at 6am, then eating before means you have to wake up at 4h30 and that is not great, so in this case, my advice is to not eat before, but take along some fruit to eat during training if you need to.

As for when to eat after, eat as soon as you can - some people can't eat for a couple of hours, because they lose their appetite, others can eat straight out of the gym. It's all individual, so go with what works for you.