Question
Posted by: Linda | 2004/01/16

Eating and drinking

Your advise is to drink water during meals as this assists digestion. I was informed by a dietician that I wasn't to drink anything for at least 20 minutes before I eat, and then again for another 20 minutes after I eat. The reason was that fluids dilute the digestive juices and so slow down the digestion process. I am now confused ! To drink, or not to drink, which is it ?

Dear Linda
If you drink a large quantity of water or other fluids with meals then you will dilute your digestive juices. However, having 1 glass of water or juice with a meal will not make a dramatic difference - moderation is always the key.