Question
Posted by: Bird | 2003/02/06

Eating after a work out..

Hello Diet Doc,

My weekly routine is to spend an hour in the gym, mainly cardio work and some weights. I am trying to drop fat and build lean muscle. I am usually finished by 9:30pm and eating dinner at 10pm. The advice that I am seeking from you is, what do I eat after gym and at that time? Do I stay away from carbs and load protein?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Bird

Dear Bird
It is a fallacy that one needs to cut out carbs when trying to build lean muscle. You need plenty of carbs and some protein, but little fat, to ensure that the protein is used to build muscle and not used for energy purposes. I think that you need to eat a light supper because of the late hour - moderate portions of pasta, rice, or potato, with lean grilled meat or fish, salad and some fruit. Stock up at your other meals such as breakfast to ensure that you have enough energy for the day to prevent muscle loss, e.g. fruit juice, cereal with low-fat milk/or yoghurt and raisins or other dried fruit, a poached egg on wholewheat toast, and a beverage with low-fat milk.
Happy exercising